Industry’s first ultra-low-power FRAM microcontroller from TI enables developers to make the world smarter
Ushering in a new era of reliable data logging and RF communication capabilities, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today announced the industry’s first ultra-low-power ferroelectric random access memory (FRAM) 16-bit microcontrollers. Further demonstrating TI's embedded processing leadership, the new MSP430FR57xx FRAM series ensures data can be written more than 100 times faster and uses as little as 250 times less power than flash- and EEPROM-based microcontrollers. Additionally, the on-chip FRAM allows data retention in all power modes, supports more than 100 trillion write cycles, and delivers a new dimension of flexibility by allowing developers to partition data and programming memory with changes in software.
The FR57xx series eliminates existing power consumption and write endurance barriers, enabling developers to make the world smarter with more cost-efficient data logging, remote sensing and wireless update capabilities in new products that do more and last longer. For more information on TI’s new FR57xx microcontrollers with proven FRAM memory, go to www.ti.com/fr57xx-pr-lp.
Key features and benefits of the MSP430FR57xx FRAM microcontrollers
- Reduces the industry’s best active power by up to 50 percent when executing code from FRAM, operating at 100µA/MHz in active mode and 3 µA in real-time clock mode
- More than 100 trillion write cycle endurance supports continuous data logging, eliminating need for costly external EEPROM and battery-backed SRAM
- Unified memory allows developers to easily change memory partitioning between program, data and cache in software, providing inventory management and system cost savings
- Guaranteed write and data retention in all power modes ensure code safety to simplify the development process, reduce memory test costs and increase end-product reliability
- Enables reliable remote software upgrades – especially over the air – to provide cheaper, easier software upgrade paths for device manufacturers
- Integrated FRAM densities up to 16kB as well as analog and connectivity peripheral options, including 10-bit ADC, 32-bit hardware multiplier, up to five 16-bit timers and multiple enhanced SPI/I2C/UART buses
- Code compatibility across MSP platform as well as low-cost, easy-to-use tools, comprehensive documentation, user guide and code examples allow developers to get started immediately
- Simplify system development with broad compatible RF tools from TI
- Enables intelligent batteryless RF connectivity solutions
- FR57XX MCUs are built on TI's advanced low power, 130nm embedded FRAM process
Pricing and availability
The new MSP430FR57xx microcontrollers start at $1.20 at 10K units, and samples and tools are immediately available. The MSP-EXP430FR5739 Experimenter’s Kit is $29 and can be ordered at www.ti.com/fr57xx-pr-ek-es and the MSP-TS430RHA40A Development Kit is $99 and can be ordered at www.ti.com/fr57xx-pr-dk-es.
New MSP platform includes MSP430™ microcontrollers
TI is committed to delivering new, revolutionary solutions to support customers’ dynamic needs, and MSP430FR57xx FRAM microcontrollers are just one great example of that commitment. To make room for many innovations to come, TI is evolving the MSP430 family to now be part of the new MSP platform.