Integrated Device Technology introduced the industry’s first single-pole, double-throw (SPDT) RF switch featuring its patent-pending KZ constant impedance technology. The IDT F2923 is a low insertion loss SPDT absorptive RF switch designed for a multitude of RF applications, including base stations (2G, 3G, 4G, 5G), wireless backhaul, CATV, and portable handhelds.
The KZ feature controls all port impedances when switching between RF ports, preserving the return loss. Standard switches without KZ create a large voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) transient when switching RF paths because the impedance of the switch is not well controlled during the switching event. A VSWR transient can degrade system performance and reduce reliability.
Benefits of Kz in different dynamic or “hot switching” scenarios include:
· Minimizing switched Tx/Rx Synthesizer pulling and recovery time in TDD systems
· Avoiding damage and error-inducing transients when switching between two RF elements such as PAs, drivers and LNAs.
· Minimizing transient amplitude and phase error on the unswitched path(s) when switching a path of a distribution network such as a 3 dB coupler or 4 way splitter
“With this latest SPDT switch, we highlight our new KZ technology to dramatically improve hot-switching performance,” said Chris Stephens, general manager of IDT’s RF division. “The F2923 demonstrates yet again IDT’s leadership in the core RF innovations that system developers desire.”
In addition to KZ technology, the device delivers:
· Insertion loss of only 0.48dB at 2GHz
· IIP3 greater than 66dBm @ 2GHz
· Industry-leading isolation of 74 dB at 2 GHz
Covering a broad frequency range from 300kHz to 8000MHz, IDT’s innovative Kz technology ensures the device delivers near-constant impedance (VSWR < 1.4:1 compared to 9:1 for standard switches) when switching from one RF port to another while not compromising isolation, linearity, or insertion loss. The F2923 uses a single positive supply voltage of 3.3V and supports standard 1.8V and 3.3V control logic levels.
The F2923 switch is sampling and comes in a 4 x 4 mm 20-TQFN package.
Integrated Device Technology