Point of Load (POL), Power Supplies, Voltage Regulator
@Intersil #radiationhardened #fpga #powersupply #powerrails #psd
Milpitas, Calif. – Intersil, a subsidiary of Renesas Electronics Corporation, announced the ISL70321SEH and ISL73321SEH quad power supply sequencers designed to drive point-of load (POL) regulators that power high performance FPGAs and complex, multi-rail power systems. Highly scalable, up to four power supplies can be fully sequenced by a single device or multiple devices can be easily cascaded to sequence an unlimited number of power supplies. Intersil’s radiation-hardened power supply sequencers ensure high reliability operation with fault monitoring to boost system health and performance, and they are the industry’s first space-grade sequencers backed by single event effects (SEE) mitigation tests and complete radiation assurance testing.
The ISL70321SEH sequencer is radiation assurance tested to 100krad(Si) at high dose rate and 75krad(Si) at low dose rate, while the ISL73321SEH is assurance tested to 75krad(Si) at low dose rate. Both sequencers provide an accurate and scalable method to achieve the proper power-up and power-down sequencing of DC/DC converters essential to powering FPGAs, DSPs, RF communications ICs, and high density distributed power systems. They simplify design by using minimal external components, only requiring two resistors per power supply for voltage monitoring, and a single resistor to program the rising and falling delay.
The highly integrated sequencers provide critical reliability features, and reduce bill of materials cost by replacing discrete solutions that employ several comparators, resistors, and capacitors. To ensure accurate monitoring and reliable system operation, the ISL70321SEH and ISL73321SEH integrate precision input comparators with an input threshold voltage of 600mV ±1.5% to deliver the highest possible accuracy when monitoring power supply voltages. Both devices actively monitor seven different fault conditions to provide comprehensive fault detection, and a DONE indicator gives system feedback that power-up and power-down have completed successfully.
Key Features and Specifications of ISL7X321SEH Sequencers
· Wide operating voltage range from 3V to 13.2V
· Precision voltage monitoring with 600mV ±1.5% threshold accuracy over temperature, supply range, and radiation
· I/O fault pin initiates a fault condition enabling simultaneous shut off all the power supplies before catastrophic damage
· The 45mA drive capability of the high drive internal linear bias regulator allows the designer to connect the enable pull up resistors to this pin, eliminating the need for an external bias voltage
· Powers-off POLs in reverse order or simultaneously
· Full military temperature range operation: TA = -55°C to +125°C, TJ = -55°C to +150°C
· Radiation hardness assurance:
o High Dose Rate (HDR) (50-300rad(Si)/s):100krad(Si) - ISL70321SEH only
o Low Lose Rate (LDR) (0.01rad(Si)/s): 75krad(Si) - ISL70321SEH and ISL73321SEH
· SEE Hardness assurance: no SEB/SEL LETTH, VDD = 14.7V, 86MeV•cm2/mg, SET, SEFI free at LET 20MeV•cm2/mg
The ISL70321SEH and ISL73321SEH can be combined with the following ICs to create a complete power-up and power-down POL sequencing solution for radiation-hardened FPGAs: ISL70002SEH 12A synchronous buck regulator, ISL70001ASEH 6A synchronous buck regulator, and ISL75052SEH 1.5A LDO regulator.
The ISL70321SEH and ISL73321SEH radiation-hardened quad power supply sequencers are available now in an 18-lead 10mm x 12mm CDFP package or in die form. For more information on the ISL70321SEH, please visit: www.intersil.com/products/isl7