ROHM Semiconductor presents its latest IPM (Intelligent Power Module) family optimized for high speed and power-efficient operation in motor driving and inverter applications at SPS IPC Drives 2015. The 600V modules integrate a range of components such as gate drivers, bootstrap diodes, IGBTs or ROHM’s proprietary Low Ron SuperJunction Power MOSFETs (PrestoMOS) as well as a fly wheel diode (FWD) within a single compact package. The small footprint also houses comprehensive protection functions. This set-up offers especially to developers of white goods and industry motors multiple cost-efficient design options. The full line-up includes different currents of 1.5A, 2.5A, 10A, 15A, 20A and 30A versions.
Applications with built-in motor drives require high integration, compactness and reliability and have to tolerate rugged environments for a long time. In order to meet this demand, ROHM has developed this highly functional IPM series which includes several components like high and low side gate drivers, bootstrap diodes for fast recovery, low saturation 600V IGBT or Power MOSFETs (PrestoMOS), low Vf and high speed trr fly wheel diodes (IGBT version) as well as various protection functions within one compact HSDIP25 package.
The new family leverages a number of proprietary technologies and material enhancements to facilitate current monitoring, heat dissipation and reliable operation. It significantly reduces power losses at light and heavy loads while increasing power capability. Featuring an innovative aluminium-based Silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology, the module provides enhanced high-voltage capacity, high heat conductivity, low leak current and, at the same time, prevents latch-up. For excellent reliability, the IC additionally features a comprehensive set of protection attributes such as a current limit for the bootstrap diode, under voltage lock-out for floating supply, fault output, thermal shut-down and short circuit protection as well as a FWD (IGBT version) to eliminate flyback. Designers can choose from different set-ups – with integrated IGBT or MOSFET - in order to identify the ideal solution for their application and save time and costs.
• Energy-save for IPLV, SEER, APF
• Low saturation voltage IGBT
• Low on-resistance SJ-MOSFET (opt.) for improved conduction loss
• Low forward voltage and trr FWD
• Built-in gate driver and bootstrap diode for fast recovery and fault protection
• SOI technology for HVIC for low leak current and latch-up prevention
• Current limit for bootstrap diode, suppression of rush current
• Short Circuit, Under Voltage, Thermal Shutdown, fault signal output
• Input interface 3.3V, 5V (active high)
• Range of available currents (1.5A, 2.5A, 10A, 15A, 20A, 30A)
• Ceramic isolation PKG
• 1500Vrms isolation, low thermal resistance
• Compatible HSDIP25 package for easy design-in
These IPMs are suitable for inverters, motor driving and control in home appliances, consumer electronics and white goods such as air compressors, heat-pumps for washing machines, refrigerators as well as motor driving in low power industry motors and VRMS (AC = 100V-240V).