The low power loss characteristics and high carrier frequency operation of the SiC-MOSFET (metal oxide semiconductor field-effect transistor) and SiC-SBD (schottky barrier diode) chips in the modules are expected to facilitate the development of more efficient, smaller and lighter weight power equipment in various industrial fields. Sales will start in January, 2021.
Will facilitate more power-efficient, smaller and lighter industrial equipment - Junction field-effect transistor (JFET) doping technology reduces on-resistance by about 15% compared to that of conventional SiC products.
- Reducing mirror capacitance enables fast switching and reduces switching loss.
- Built-in SiC-MOSFET and SiC-SBD help to reduce power loss by approximately 70% compared to that of Mitsubishi Electric’s conventional Si-IGBT modules.
- Power loss reduction and high carrier frequency operation will facilitate development of smaller and lighter external components, such as reactors and coolers.
Increases device density by increasing impurity density in JFET area
Mitsubishi Electric’s first-generation SiC modules (with same rating) for industrial use 4 Stray capacitance between gate and drain existing in MOSFET structure (Crss) that affects switching time
Real time control (RTC) circuit balances short-circuit performance and low on-resistance
- Safe short-circuit performance and low on-resistance characteristics achieved with RTC circuit to block excessive current during short circuits.
- In the event of a short circuit, safely blocks excessive current from an external protection circuit by monitoring short-circuit detection signal.
Optimized internal chip layout for improved heat dissipation
- Decentralized and optimized placement of SiC-MOSFET and SiC-SBD chips inside modules help to improve heat dissipation, thereby allowing the use of smaller, or fanless, coolers.
These products are compliant with the Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment (RoHS) directive 2011/65/EU and 2015/863/EU.