Expanding its broad portfolio of analog and digital power management solutions, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry's most integrated and configurable digital power management controller optimized for AC/DC and isolated DC/DC power supply applications. The UCD3138 gives designers an innovative path to increase power density and reliability in a broad range of power supply topologies used in servers, telecom rectifiers and high-power DC/DC modules. For samples and development kits, visit: www.ti.com/ucd3138-pr
Digital control capabilities allow designers to do more with their power systems, including re-usability of hardware designs across multiple platforms and the versatility to fine-tune performance and control parameters for each application, allowing faster time to market. To enable this, the UCD3138 combines a powerful 32-bit microprocessor, high-speed precision data converters, multiple programmable hardware control loops and various communication engines in a small 6-mm x 6-mm package.
Key features and benefits of the UCD3138:
Easy-to-use GUI and development tools
- Boosts peak and light load efficiency: The device features several control functions to increase efficiency, including sync-FET soft on-off control, dynamic phase shedding, dynamic frequency adjustment and dynamic mode switching
- Supports all isolated power supply topologies: The controller supports single-phase, two-phase interleaved, or bridgeless power factor correction, hard-switching full-bridge, phase-shifted full-bridge, resonant LLC and other topologies.
- Integrates all essential protection features: The device implements peak current mode control, cycle-by-cycle peak current limiting, high-speed input voltage feed-forward, over-voltage, over-current and over-temperature protection.
Designers will have easy access to several digital power development tools including full-voltage and feature-rich evaluation modules, development kits, reference designs, application firmware source code, programmer's manuals and the Code Composer Studio™ software development environment. TI's Fusion Digital Power Designer graphical user interface (GUI) software tool provides flexible configuration of key power parameters, as well as telemetry, logging, and communication functions. A broad range of hardware design tools, such as control card and open-loop evaluation modules, are available to select customers. In addition TI offers easy-to-use development kits and reference designs, including:
- UCD3138PFCEVM-026: Universal input, 400-Vout AC/DC PFC development kit, configurable into single- or two-phase interleaved and bridgeless topologies
- UCD3138PSFBEVM-027: 400-Vin/12-Vout DC/DC phase-shifted full bridge
- UCD3138LLCEVM-028: 400-Vin/12-Vout DC/DC half-bridge resonant LLC
- UCD3138HSFBEVM-029: 48-Vin/12-Vout DC/DC hard-switching full-bridge
Broad digital power portfolio
- Universal input, 12-Vout 600-W AC/DC reference design (PFC plus LLC, and PFC plus phase-shifted full-bridge)
- 48-Vin/12-Vout 1/8 brick DC/DC reference design (hard-switching full bridge)
TI provides a complete range of analog and digital power management and MCU-optimized solutions to meet any digital power design requirement. TI's digital power controllers include the UCD3K family for isolated power supplies and UCD9K family for non-isolated point-of-load designs. TI's analog protection and system management controllers, such as the LM5064 and LM5066, as well as the TPS40400 and TPS40422 analog PWM controllers, integrate a PMBus™ digital communication interface, offering configurability, telemetry and monitoring capabilities. Finally, TI's fully programmable TMS320F28x MCUs support a multitude of power and energy-related applications, offering versatility and performance. See: www.ti.com/digitalpower-pr
Availability and pricing
The UCD3138 is sampling now with volume production expected in the second quarter. It comes in a thermally enhanced 40-pin, 6-mm x 6-mm QFN package and supports a temperature range of -40C to 125C. Suggested resale pricing is $2.70 in 1,000-unit quantities. A 64-pin, 9-mm x 9-mm QFN version of the UCD3138 is priced at $4.10 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Find out more about TI's power products and design tools:
About Texas Instruments
- Check out TI Live @ APEC to keep up with what TI is doing at APEC, including pictures of demonstrations.
- Ask questions and share knowledge in the Power forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/powerforum-pr
- Power Stage Designer™ software design tool: www.ti.com/powerstagedesigner-pr
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be - smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do - from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com